What are cookies?
Cookies are files that can be downloaded to your computer through web pages. They are tools that have a role
essential for the provision of numerous services of the information society. Among others, they allow a web page
store and retrieve information about the browsing habits of a user or their equipment and, depending on the information
obtained, can be used to recognize the user and improve the service offered.
Types of cookies
Depending on who is the entity that manages the domain from where the cookies are sent and treats the data obtained, it can be
distinguish two types:
- Own cookies: those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a managed computer or domain
by the editor itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not
managed by the editor, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies.
In the event that cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the editor himself but the information collected through them is managed by a third party, they cannot be considered as own cookies.
There is also a second classification according to the period of time that they remain stored in the client’s browser,
being able to be:
- Session cookies: designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page. I know
They are usually used to store information that only interests to keep for the provision of the service
requested by the user on a single occasion (e.g. a list of products purchased).
- Persistent cookies: the data is still stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed for a
period defined by the person responsible for the cookie, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
Finally, there is another classification with five types of cookies according to the purpose for which the data obtained is processed:
- Technical cookies: those that allow the user to navigate through a web page,
platform or application and the use of the different options or services that exist in it, such as,
example, control traffic and data communication, identify the session, access access parts
restricted, remember the elements that make up an order, carry out the purchase process of an order, carry out
the request to register or participate in an event, use security elements while browsing,
store content for broadcasting videos or sound or share content through social networks.
- Personalization cookies: they allow the user to access the service with some character characteristics
general predefined based on a series of criteria in the user’s terminal, such as the
language, the type of browser through which you access the service, the regional configuration from where you access the
- Analysis cookies: they allow the person responsible for them to monitor and analyze the behavior of the
users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookie is
used in the measurement of the activity of the websites, application or platform and for the creation of profiles
navigation of the users of said sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements in
based on the analysis of the usage data made by the users of the service.
- Advertising cookies: allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of advertising spaces.
Behavioral advertising cookies: they store information on the behavior of users obtained from
through the continuous observation of your browsing habits, which allows you to develop a specific profile
to display advertising based on it.
Cookies from external social networks: they are used so that visitors can interact with the content of
different social platforms (facebook, youtube, twitter, linkedIn, etc ..) and that are generated only for
the users of said social networks. The conditions of use of these cookies and the information collected
Deactivation and elimination of cookiesYou have the option to allow, block or delete the cookies installed on your computer by configuring the browser options installed on your computer. By deactivating cookies, some of the available services may no longer be operational. The
The way to disable cookies is different for each browser, but it can usually be done from the Tools menu
u Options. You can also consult the Help menu of the browser where you can find instructions. The user may
at any time choose which cookies you want to work on this website.
You can allow, block or delete the cookies installed on your computer by configuring the options of the
browser installed on your computer:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer o Microsoft Edge:
- Mozilla Firefox: http://support.mozilla.org/es/kb/impedir-que-los-sitios-web-guarden-sus-preferencia
- Chrome: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?hl=es
- Safari: http://safari.helpmax.net/es/privacidad-y-seguridad/como-gestionar-las-cookies/
- Opera: http://help.opera.com/Linux/10.60/es-ES/cookies.html
In addition, you can also manage the cookie store in your browser through tools such as the following
- Ghostery: www.ghostery.com/